Saturday, May 28, 2005

Jetzt schalten wir das Radio an....

Artist: The Radio

Album: Whatever's on the radio.


I learned about it...: through trial and error.

Comments: Not much interesting happens on the radio around here.  The two college radio stations usually limit themselves to disco-punk or whatever the indie scene dictates.  I've caught decent programming once or twice, but I've pretty much given up trying.  Once bitten twice shy and all that.  I just don't dig indie-rock radio.

On the sunny side, I can sometimes pick up WNCU, the radio station of North Carolina Central University in Durham.  Its flagship show, as far as I'm concerned, is 8 Track Flashback, which features doo-wop, rhythm and blues, soul, etc.  WNCU broadcasts over the web, too, so give it a try on a Saturday afternoon; you won't be disappointed.


Another point on the dial I enjoy visiting is WIST out of High Point, North Carolina.  WIST plays the absolute unhippest music one can find on the airwaves today.  They used to call it MOR, or middle of the road, but now it goes by Adult Standards.  Imagine a mixture of 101 Strings, Herb Alpert, ABBA, Mantovanni, the Beatles, Hugo Montenegro, etc., and you'll get a good idea of the musical vein that WIST mines.  Best of all, WIST plays it without a trace of irony.  WIST rules, ok?

Last of all, I'd like to take this opprotunity to call Ira Glass, of NPR's This American Life, a nebbish.  Ira, you are a nebbish.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, look it up.


Contest: The title to this post comes from a song.  Be the first to name that song and I'll send you something.  Leave your answer in the comments, along with a spam-proof email (like pig_NOSPAM_AT_chinnychinchin.net).

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home