Saturday, May 14, 2005

Black Metal for Thirtysomethings

Artist: Bathory
Album: Under the Sign of Black Mark (1986)


I learned about it...: Took a gamble on the OG Swedish Death Metal band

I bought two albums by this band sometime last fall.  One of them, Hammerheart, I liked immediately.  Three words and a prepositional phrase will tell you all you need to know about it: crunchy viking metal with sound-effects.  The other one, Under the Sign of Black Mark, didn't do too much for me at first.  I found it sort of silly, and I think you will, too.  But the silliness wore off, and one day I noticed myself singing "Equimanthorn" in the parking lot of Harris Teeter.  Now I like Black Mark as much as if not more than Hammerheart.  Or maybe Satan has my soul at last.


Sorry, no more soundz.  I eliminated them from webspace.

1 Comments:

  • At first I was all, "How the hell is it possible to find yourself singing black metal in a Harris Teeter parking lot? I mean, you can't sing that sort of music." But then I listened to the clip of "Equimanthorn" and I can sort of see it.

    By Blogger stephen, at 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home