Monday, April 18, 2005

This makes me oh so very happy!

DINOSAUR JR ANNOUNCE TOUR DATES !!!

That's right it's happening.

The original line-up of Dinosaur Jr - J Mascis, Lou Barlow and Murph - are reuniting and hitting the road in support of the Merge reissue of their first 3 albums (Dinosaur, You're Living All Over Me, Bug) .

Their very first reunion performance will be tonight (Friday, 4/15) on national TV. Tune in to the Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson on CBS for the first-ever national TV performance by the original line-up. That will be followed by a special performance on Saturday (April 16th) at Spaceland in Los Angeles.

Later this summer, after a trip across the pond for some UK shows, J, Lou and Murph will embark on their first U.S. tour in over 15 years.

Remember to bring your earplugs!

Here are the dates:

7/7 - Lake Buena Vista, FL @ House of Blues
7/8 - Atlanta, GA @ Variety Playhouse
7/9 - Norfolk, VA @ The NorVa
7/10 - Carrboro, NC @ Cat's Cradle
7/11 - Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
7/13 - Philadelphia, PA @ Electric Factory
7/14 - New York, NY @ Central Park SummerStage
7/15 - Boston, MA @ Avalon
7/19 - Cleveland, OH @ House of Blues
7/20 - Pontiac, MI @ Clutch Cargo
7/21 - Covington, KY @ The Madison Theater
7/22 - Milwaukee, WI @ The Rave/ Eagles Club
7/23 - Minneapolis, MN @ The Quest
7/24 - Chicago, IL @ Grant Park (Lollapalooza)

5 Comments:

  • While this makes Paul D very happy, this twists me up inside. When I heard about this, I was initially as excited as Paul (if not more) given how huge of a fan I was of this trio in 1988-1990. I saw them live twice actually, though the second time was without Lou. The Barlow-Mascis feud was one of those soap operas that was best frozen in time, fueling the Dinosaur Jr. legend. WIth a friendly reunion, it just reeks of helping J get out of some financial problems. Once The Pixies came back, all these indie rockers form my generation saw what kind of money was available if they reunited.

    I saw them Friday night on the Late Late Show on CBS, and J sounded horrible. He was so off-key, and his guitar was totally out of tune. But maybe that's ok...? Their records always sounded muddy, and that was part of the charm. Live in a club, there was so much feedback, it didn't matter how well J could sing. But on TV, all their flaws were exposed. I'm afraid to hear the new remixed CDs on Merge because I'm so familiar with each and every subtle sound on those three records.

    Let's just hope that somewhere this summer on tour, J goes nuts and punches Lou in the mouth and that's the last we hear about it - but not until I get to see them in Minneapolis.

    By Blogger Craig, at 8:45 AM  

  • I definitely have mixed feelings about this, but I'm operating on full nostalgia mode.
    I saw that TV performance and I agree, it was a mess.

    I want one night with some old friends and some hits and then let them fade into the ether never to be heard from again.

    By Blogger Paul D, at 9:53 AM  

  • i remember seeing dinosaur jr. at the Brewery in Raleigh and Mascis seemed distracted or bored. i seem to remember someone tossed a plastic blowup dinosaur (like a swimming pool float toy) on the stage and he just kind of ignored it, kicked it aside.
    but who knows what was going on between those guys? people are complex and bands are even more complex and both have good nights and bad.
    i felt the same way before going to see Mission of Burma some months back. Their records rocked my world back in the day, and i always assumed that their live heyday was before my time and now they would just be old and playing old songs. they couldn't possibly still have the magic. but they were great, it was an awesome show. made "me oh so very happy" and a little more optimistic about seeing bands that i loved like 15 years ago. if the buzzcocks ever do another tour i'm gonna go see them. and my recently deceased band: Party Time got to open for Thin Lizzy at Berbati's Pan. i was like "holy shit" and i was also a little bit all like "well Phil Lynott was Thin Lizzy. how can they be good without him?" but they fukin ruled! the whole place was loving it. and we played really well that show too. phil wasn't really all of think lizzy and i had to retract my doubts about them being as good as the Lizzy of '78 or '79, different, but very good still.



    Phil was thin lizzy.

    By Blogger david, at 6:20 PM  

  • I 'll be at my brother in law's wedding the weekend they play Minneapolis, so I hope to be able to check
    them out in Milwaukee.

    Has anyone listened to the last two Mascis solo albums?
    Personally, I think they're great, some of the best stuff he's done in years. They lead me to believe that a new Dino album could be pretty damn good.
    What say ye Ding Gua Gua?

    By Blogger Paul D, at 10:28 PM  

  • I like the Fog, actually. I don't think there's anything wrong with J's talent or taste nowadays. People like us always just approach the whole reunion concept a bit tepidly. Particularly when it's a relatively small time band like Dinosaur Jr. (or The Descendents). I agree that new Dinosaur Jr. could be pretty good stuff. Lou's new one Emoh is pretty good too.

    By Blogger Craig, at 7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home