Saturday, April 09, 2005

Tamil Garage

Artist: M.I.A.

Album: Arular


Posted by Hello
I learned about it...:
This chick Ursula, who works with my friend Sally told me about it during trivia night at Pete's 19th Hole when I told her I liked music that's "dancey" and "has beats". She also said that she heard it playing at the mall the other day (at Hot Topic no less), which caused her to reconsider its awesomeness, but, you know, fuck it. Right? If it's crazy, it's crazy - no matter where it's played or who likes it. And this shit is kinda nuts.

Comments: This is a weird record! The woman behind it all is named Maya Arulpragasm, and she's Sri Lankan by way of London. It sorta reminds me of the grime garage thing they've got going in the UK these days (Dizzee Rascal, Wiley, etc.), but it adds an Asian element that I think really works out well. I hope you dig it.

Sound clip: Pull Up the People

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home